Things to embrace in 2024
“And suddenly you know: it’s time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings.” Meister Eckhart
We’re only two weeks into the new year, so I’m still counting this as a time of new beginnings (although, to be fair, every day is a new beginning). There is magic in beginnings; they hold the promise of countless possibilities and they hold a power that allows us to redefine our journey. We can do this by letting go of the things that are no longer serving us and by inviting in a new way of feeling or being.
I created my ‘Things To Embrace In 2024’ journal page by asking the question: What do I want to embrace so that I can live my best life? Then I hunted for images, colours, and quotes that inspired me. I always find it interesting how the combination of all the choices we make in creating an art journal spread can result in something larger than the sum of its parts. While I started with a list of specific things I wanted in my life in 2024, the finished spread shows me that what I really want is to fill myself up as a creative being so that I have more than enough to give back to the creative community. It’s about embracing my potential as an artist and a teacher so that I can touch the lives of others. And it’s about remembering that I can do this despite all the negative gremlin voices that tell me otherwise.
What would you like to invite into your life?
- Find a quiet corner where you can clear your mind and find some peace. A small ritual might help, like making a cup of tea, lighting a candle or burning some incense. These small actions signal that this time is sacred and helps you to set your journaling intention.
- In your notebook, reflect on the question: What do I want to embrace so that I can live my best life? Free write for 15 minutes on anything that comes to mind. Re-read what you’ve written and create a list of 5 to 10 things you would like to embrace over the coming year.
- Spend some time looking through magazines for images that represent the general concept of inviting light and love into your life or that represent the specific things on your list. Work quickly and allow your intuition to guide you. Look though your collage fodder and choose additional papers that have the right feel or colour combinations.
- Lay out and glue down your images and other papers in your art journal. Glue down any quotes or phrases that speak to you. Make additional marks with paint pens and other mixed media supplies.
- You may like to journal in the background of this page using text from your notebook and adding further thoughts on the things you have chosen to embrace.
- In visible text, list the things that you wish to embrace and add any other phrases that will inspire you on this journey.
- Finish the page with additional colour washes and mark making.